7th /8thGrade Math
(803) 266-3430 ext. 8065
Planning: 1:00 – 1:55 daily
Our goal for your child is to experience success this year in his/her Math course and to provide a positive educational environment where all students will be encouraged and motivated to become active learners. Students will be engaged in a variety of assignments and activities. They will be held to high expectations in the quality of their work and personal behavior. Students will be given opportunities to correct designated assignments if they don’t meet standards.
We have a challenging math text that addresses the needs of middle school students with a variety of ability levels and learning styles. It contains many high interest activities that attract students by using an interactive approach. The text introduces students to numerous new topics while providing limited review of the basic operations.
Instructional strategies, methods, and procedures will include but are not limited to the use of the following: whole-group and small group instruction, learning games, manipulatives, investigations, problem solving, guided and independent practice for reinforcement, enrichment, and review.
Developmental differences, learning styles, and different rates of learning will be considered when accommodating the needs of individual students and when planning the pacing and presentation of math content.
- Class Rules
- Come to class quietly, on time, and prepared to learn.
- Raise hand to get permission to speak or move.
- Bullying and harassment will not be tolerated.
- Respect self, others, and school property.
- Come dressed appropriate at all times.
- Positive Note Home
- Descartes Dollars
- Positive Call Home
- Verbal warning
- Parent contact
- Lunch detention
- After school detention
- Materials: each of the following must be brought with you every day
- Loose leaf paper -Pencils
- Notebook - Math workbook
- Math binder - Any assignments due
- Beginning of class: Take out your notebook and get started on your warm up. There will be a warm up questions/activity posted which you should begin immediately.
- Sharpen your pencil during warm up.
- During class: each day will consist of a warm up, some instruction or review activity, practice time and activities (both small group and individual) and a closure activity.
- If you finish work early, you may read silently or complete any missing assignments from the week.
- End of class: with five minutes left in class, I will instruct you to pack up your things and clean your work space (do not pack up until I say to do so). When the bell rings, I will dismiss you when you have left the room looking as neat as when you entered it.
- Restroom: Use restroom during class changes. In the event of an emergency ask permission to use the restroom. Also, remember the school policy of bringing the pass with you!
- Classroom activities/Homework: Worth 40% of your grade.
- Cooperating with classmates on practice activities
- Participating in classroom discussions/activities
- Completing/graded in class activities
- Homework will be given most days. I will use this as a way to check your understanding!
- Quizzes/Projects: Worth 40% of your grade.
- These quizzes may or may not be announced
- Tests/Exams: Worth 20% of your grade.
- The number of tests and projects per quarter will vary based on the number of units completed.
A = 93 – 100
B = 85 – 92
C = 77 – 84
D = 70 – 76
F = Below 69
- I expect all work to be turned in on time. These assignments will be crucial pieces of practice and will move you towards mastery of content.
- If an assignment is late, points will be deducted from the participation portion of your grade at teacher discretion.
- Late work will only be accepted during the week it is due (by the end of the day Friday). Once a week has ended, any work from before will no longer be accepted.
- When you return to school, you will be expected to take the following steps:
- During the warm-up, turn in any missing work to the homework basket
- Ask me for notes/activities you missed (check in absent folder)
- Receive any notes we took from an elbow partner
- Complete missing work and turn it in within the week
- If you missed a test or class activity, you must schedule a time with me to make it up (ex: before school, after school, lunch, or Friday enrichment)
Following these guidelines will help you succeed in my class. It will also help our class run more smoothly and leave more time for challenging and fun activities. Please remember that YOU are responsible for your own success. However, I will do everything I can to help you achieve this success! As always, feel free to come to me or e-mail me with any concerns throughout the year. I am looking forward to a great year!